Author: Subject: Intel releasing Quad-Core CPUs in Q4
PhilKenSebben
Editor

karma Rating: 2 / +

Mood: How do you say... Delicious?

icon3.gif posted on 10-14-06 at 02:08 PM   «:|:»  Link to post Reply With Quote
Intel releasing Quad-Core CPUs in Q4

Taken from a report on megagames.com -
Hewlett-Packard workstations will be the first computers to run on Intel's quad-core processors, now known as Xeon 5300. This early introduction of the quad core chip is even more impressive when considering that rival AMD will not feature a quad-core processor until Q2, 2007. AMD claims that its native quad-core design is superior to Intel's technique of connecting two dual-cores in one chip. Those claims however, cannot be verified until both processors can be compared in real-world conditions. - MegaGames

Goddddd i dont even have DUAL core yet!!! SLOW DOWNNNN WAIT FOR MEEEEEEEEEEE. :( Im expecting a $1500+ price tag for even the value models of the Core 2 Quad, so i'll keep dreaming.

Ha, Ha, Ha!
jent
Chief Shaman

karma Rating: 15 karma: 15
/ +

Mood: Hanging in there

[*] posted on 10-14-06 at 04:34 PM   «:|:»  Link to post Reply With Quote

Yea....I think we will find that they will be increasing the number of cores on CPU's quite quickly.....It is an easyer way to get some more cycles. The only issue is that if you thought it was going to be hard to find code to run on dual core just try to find code that runs on a quad core.....unless you do like me and just compile every bit of code on your system, then it is great :-).

My guess is programers will have to rethink how they program software. The number of cores is not so static any more. Software will need to be developed that can dynamicly adjust how it sends threads based on how many cores are out there. My advice.....wait. Unless you want a dual core just wait. There may have to be additional hardware components to handle this, and it will most certainly require a new kernel component. So I would just wait for the technology to mature.

Just wait, in 4 years there will be 80 core CPU's.....it is coming because they are hitting a speed wall and thats the only way with present manufacturing technology to get beyond it.

cheers,
jent d-_-b
BigGreenCola

karma Rating: 4 / +

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 10-15-06 at 12:50 PM   «:|:»  Link to post Reply With Quote

Ha. I mentioned this to my dad the today and i guess hes
annoyed by it all. This info wanst supposed to come out until
a month from now. Someone leaked the info but he cant be
too unpset, HP's stock jumped after the news had been leaked.
I guess that day it leaked they closed right under $39/share

What is even going on...
Post new threadPoll:

Go To Top