Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites  Post new threadPoll:
Author: Subject: [COPY] Legal High - Nutmeg
Concorde
Junior N00b

karma Rating: 1 / +

Mood: No Mood

icon1.gif posted on 10-17-07 at 07:12 PM   «:|:»  Link to post Reply With Quote
Legal High - Nutmeg

The story begins, I really wanted to find some weed, but there was none to be found. So, I went to Erowid and Google to research legal highs very thoroughly, and found some solutions. Basically, the only ones that I have found to work well are DXM (poor man's PCP, found in cough syrup, which I haven't tried for various reasons, but seen in action), and Nutmeg.

Nutmeg, in my opinion, is the best of these legal highs, because it is all natural, and it's effects aren't too far off from the almighty herb that I'm sure you guys are very familiar with. (Although, nutmeg is no Colorado home-grown, that's for damn sure.) So, after taking nutmeg before I needed to write a school paper, I instead wrote a short paper, in erowid experience style, about the nutmeg experience (and later the school paper itself).

So, if you are ever bored/have a day to blow/run out of weed, then this is for you.

Nutmeg is a spice that is grows naturally on evergreen trees of Southeast Asia, the Caribbean, and Australasia. The seeds are usually harvested from the trees and ground into a fine powder to add flavor to many sweet foods, such as cider, cakes, and cookies. Nutmeg can also be used as a treatment for toothaches, indigestion, and diarrhea. As a recreational drug, nutmeg is relatively unknown. In addition to its rumored wide-spread usage among many Far Eastern cultures throughout the ages, many of the original hippies of the 60’s were rumored to have experimented with nutmeg, but usage in the modern era is mostly confined to people who, for various purposes, are seeking an alternative to illegal drugs. As a result, few people, including law enforcement, know that nutmeg can also be used as an all-natural recreational drug (and let’s keep it that way).

Nutmeg is capable of producing pleasant effects at doses of about 2-3 tablespoons. While no official research has been conducted on the effects of nutmeg as a drug and exactly how it alters consciousness, myristicin and elemicin are most likely the mind-altering chemicals. But, before running over to the spice cabinet and engulfing large quantities of nutmeg, plan on the effects lasting a long time, and take precautions to avoid some of the negative effects of this spice.

The first thing to know about nutmeg is that, as a spice intended for use in very modest amounts, it has a very strong taste. Eating large quantities of the spice to explore its mind-altering properties can be enough to induce nausea in those with a weak stomach, so how methods of eating the stuff are critical for the start of a good experience. I have read about many different ways that people have done this, and I prefer to stir my dosage of pre-ground powder into a strong fruit juice and drink it in one large gulp. It will still have a very strong taste, but I would compare the experience to downing a triple of hard alcohol. If you use this method, keep the juice handy to use as a chaser afterwards, to alleviate the discomfort of the strong after-taste and lingering granules of nutmeg that might stick to the back of your throat. So, if you drink the nutmeg potion like a big shot of Vodka, try to swig it without tasting it, and then brush your teeth directly afterwards, then the taste shouldn’t linger for too long. In the Far East, it is even used as a breath freshener, so you’ll probably have good breath for a few hours afterwards. I have also tried to brew tea from nutmeg powder, but this did not produce any of the desired effects that regular consumption has provided for me, and it’s hard to enjoy a cup of strong nutmeg tea. Other methods that I have not tried are dumping it in ice cream or making a paste with various other ingredients. Do whatever you choose, but consuming the stuff as quickly as possible, and then quickly ridding your mouth of the taste works best for me. I would also advice against anybody trying consuming the spice on an empty stomach. This might lead to possible stomach irritation, heart burn, or nausea. Keep in mind that most cases of nausea associated with nutmeg usage are either the result of the strong taste, an over-dosage, or simply eating the spice on an empty stomach. Still, I have never felt any negative effects from nutmeg, although I admit to carefully research before using it the first time, and I always take precautions to avoid a negative experience. Another factor to consider is that many people claim that buying and grinding whole nutmeg seeds will produce stronger effects. I have never successfully ground my own seeds though, and almost broke a coffee grinder during one failed attempt, and then I spent 10 minutes trying to grind another seed with a cheese grater. It was painstaking and I could never get the lumps of nutmeg small to consume in a beverage, so it seemed to be too much trouble. I just buy pre-ground nutmeg instead, and it still produces the desired effects.

So now that you have consumed the nutmeg, a long waiting game begins for the effects to set in. Usually, the effects will begin to mildly trail in within about 3-4 hours of consumption, and peak at about 6-8 hours. So after this long waiting period, the effects will gradually emerge, sometimes taking the skeptical user by surprise. Although there is little official research on nutmeg used as a drug, most sources will classify it as a “deliriant”. For me, the typical effects of nutmeg are similar to THC, only weaker. The experience should include the positive effects of a stoned feeling, relaxation, and slightly altered thoughts and perceptions. Users may also experienced a slightly heightened awareness of the senses, and, in a way similar to cannabis, feel disconnected with anything in the past or future, although you can expect some random, long-forgotten childhood memories to spontaneously come into your mind. Nutmeg might also produce a dazed feeling, making a user seem mellow. “Equilibrium” is thrown off in a pleasant way. Mental activity can either accelerate or slow down, depending on the user’s mood or how tired he is, and speech might slow some, as you would expect with marijuana. In short, nutmeg will provide a prolonged dream-like state for users. Historically, nutmeg has also been used extensively by the Arabs as a natural aphrodisiac. Many people report some minor hallucinogenic properties of nutmeg, however I have never actually experienced these. Many hippies have actually reported very mystical experiences, where thoughts manifest before their eyes, although I find that to be a far-fetched description, and maybe an indicator that they were also under the influence of harder drugs. Remember, drugs can both positively and negatively affect people in many different ways. Nutmeg will not do much to alter the cannabis experience itself when the effects of the drugs overlap. A combination of the two will simply result in a deeper stone than the same amount of cannabis could produce on its own, resulting in an experience that should retain the positive attributes of both drugs.

The effects of nutmeg are very long lasting. Once settled in, there is really no recognizable peak in the drug’s effects, but rather a plateau that trails in shortly after the first signs of impairment, and lasts for an entire evening. After this plateau, the effects will very gradually trail off. After a one-time dose of 2-3 tablespoons, the last obvious effects of the experience usually will not completely trail off until 24-36 hours have elapsed since the initial consumption. So beware, as this tends to frustrate some users who expect the effects to leave quickly after the shorter period of time that they might have experienced pot or alcohol. Some people even report feeling mellow for the next 3 to 5 days, however I have never experienced anything this drastic.

These lasting effects of nutmeg create the necessity for some strategy before taken. I tend to favor two plans for usage in order to gain maximum enjoyment from the drug. If I eat the nutmeg during the late morning or around noon, the effects will settle in during the late afternoon and linger until midnight to 2:00 am, when falling asleep should come easily. Another method is to consume the nutmeg just before bedtime. After a pleasant 8 hours of sleep, one can wake, fully rested, to the effects of nutmeg. The effects should last the entire day; however, to prevent the effects from trailing off noticeably during the evening, one can eat another tablespoon that morning.

Without proper measures, nutmeg usage can have some nasty side effects, but most can easily be avoided. First, is the standard disclaimer with any drug: nutmeg might cause some impairment in decision making and motor skills, rendering it unwise to use on any job or while operating any vehicle. Next, nutmeg, like the familiar drug alcohol, is a very strong diuretic, which may lead to dehydration. Many people report an experience similar to a giant hangover, but this is the most likely cause. Alcohol consumption mixed with nutmeg usage would probably also cause serious dehydration, which would produce a tremendous hangover! I have yet to mix the two, for that very reason. Drinking plenty of water will help you to avoid dehydration and have only a positive experience. I usually start drinking water right after I first consume the nutmeg, until I go to bed. Then, after waking up the next morning, I might feel a little hung-over, but again, drinking about a half a bottle of water will quickly transform the “hang-over” into an extension of the relaxing feeling that nutmeg should have. Drinking plenty of water will also help any developing dry mouth or blood-shot eyes that may result from nutmeg usage. (Yes, beware, it will probably make your eyes look a little cached.) While nutmeg usage in large quantities as a recreational drug has never been studied officially, I have heard that it is probably not good for the liver. I have read that nutmeg may be carcinogenic in extremely large dosages, and cause fatty deposits to build on the liver. Therefore, never use nutmeg more than twice in one week, and always avoid using nutmeg with alcohol to prevent any dangerous and unnecessary health risks. I have also perceived that I have developed somewhat of a tolerance during periods when I use nutmeg once a week for more than a couple of weeks at a time. Keep in mind also that the lasting effects of the nutmeg usage on the brain have not been studied either. The chemical reaction that produces nutmeg’s mind-altering effects occur in the stomach, which explains why it takes so long to kick in, but this also makes it difficult to determine the chemical make-up of the drug. It might be similar to ecstasy, which is very harmful for brain cells, but it might also be relatively harmless.

Nutmeg is a long-kept secret of the drug world, and can be a pleasant drug if used properly. Despite the rumors of negative experiences, if one plans ahead to use it and expects the effects to be subtle and long-lasting, then the experience will be well worth trying. And best of all, is that people of all ages can legally purchase nutmeg at any grocery store.

Conclusion: it's much, much better than nothing at all, if you like to change your consciousness as much as I do. So plan ahead and have fun. (Everyone always puts up a disclaimer that they're not promoting a drug, so I will too. So if you die doing nutmeg, don't blame it on me. On a chart that showed the difference between effective dose and fatal dose, where heroin is at the top and pot at the bottom, nutmeg actually scored about halfway between alcohol and heroin, or whatever the top drug was. So don't fuck around, and don't get impatient during the time it takes to produce results. Also, eating nutmeg is pretty much the same as eating sand, so it fucks with your digestive system. Normal body functions like shitting and peeing might be temporarily impaired. I prefer about 2 and 1/2 generous tablespoons, and I'm about 140lbs. Also, as far as eating the stuff, it really is nasty, but I have a strong stomach and have been known to drink straight vodka or gin from a water bottle in public places without flinching. I have also eaten as many as 3.5 tablespoons of nutmeg at a time and not died or gotten sick.)

For further reading, here's a link to the Nutmeg page on Erowid: Erowid Nutmeg Pages

Any questions, comments, or experience reports of your own, then share them here.
jent
Chief Shaman

karma Rating: 15 karma: 15
/ +

Mood: Hanging in there

[*] posted on 10-17-07 at 07:55 PM   «:|:»  Link to post Reply With Quote

Awesome write up....I went ahead and moved it into the articles section because it is so detailed and good info.

Not that this is info designed to be for INFORMATION only, we don't encourage anyone to actually try this.
Concorde
Junior N00b

[*] posted on 10-17-07 at 08:06 PM   «:|:»  Link to post Reply With Quote

haha thanks...I guess I should have added the "for informational purposes only" part into my little disclaimer.
spank

karma Rating: 16 karma: 16
/ +

Mood: absorbent

[*] posted on 10-18-07 at 01:00 PM   «:|:»  Link to post Reply With Quote

Would u be terribly offended if I went through and did some spell checking?

Concorde
Junior N00b

[*] posted on 10-18-07 at 08:05 PM   «:|:»  Link to post Reply With Quote

If you see some bad spelling, go for it. I can spot a couple of grammatical errors that I made
Aero
Editor

karma Rating: 8 / +

[*] posted on 10-19-07 at 11:22 AM   «:|:»  Link to post Reply With Quote

Very interesting. When you describe the effects, the first thing that comes to mind is its similarity to eating weed. I've only eaten bud once, but the effects seem fairly similar to the nutmeg effects.

It does seem like a good drug to use while smoking bud. I also thought it was interesting to take the drug right before bed and be able to wake up to the effects. Seems like doing that and then having a wake-N-bake session would be sweet.

Thanks for the post

I wish my lawn was Emo, and cut itself
Chappers
Ultra N00b

karma Rating: 0 / +

Mood: CBA mood

[*] posted on 12-14-07 at 09:54 AM   «:|:»  Link to post Reply With Quote

I used to know a group of Singaporeans that used to abuse Muscle relaxant- it was funny to watch them turn into jelly, but abit sad aswell -_-'

lul...wat?
guitarist231
Fresh N00bie

[*] posted on 2-6-08 at 05:54 PM   «:|:»  Link to post Reply With Quote

can you just eat the nuts whole without grinding them? would that make a difference? i trip with nutmeg once, but i ground it and I'm too lazy to
grind it again every time. I could buy pre-ground, but i already have about 10 nuts at home.
jent
Chief Shaman

/ +

[*] posted on 3-26-08 at 01:17 PM   «:|:»  Link to post Reply With Quote

Quote:
Originally posted by guitarist231
can you just eat the nuts whole without grinding them? would that make a difference?

Sorry for the slow reply....

The psychoactive components are inside the kernel and the shell....but I believe that they are in a lot higher concentration in the kernel. So it may work if you don't grind them up, but it wont be nearly as strong or effective I would not imagine.

cheers,
jent d-_-b
keithroberts44
Fresh N00bie

[*] posted on 8-9-08 at 11:20 AM   «:|:»  Link to post Reply With Quote

I've looked around on youtube and found some videos on the subject of eating nutmeg. I found the write up very interesting and informative but am
going to stick with the "for information purposes only" and not try it myself.

hellokitty
Fresh N00bie

[*] posted on 1-6-09 at 09:00 PM   «:|:»  Link to post Reply With Quote
yum

nutmeg does NOT have to be icky.
It can actually be very yummy to take large doses of.
mix it in a large glass of milk and add some sugar.
yum
irm420
Fresh N00bie

[*] posted on 2-12-09 at 09:41 PM   «:|:»  Link to post Reply With Quote

ok after searching all day i came to find out my dealers are dry to the bone so with no pot comes alternative. i researched for a good two hours
about nutmeg and after everyones testimonials i figured (being a experienced drug user) that tryin this would be worth it. so i just took two and
half tea spoons in oj which really didnt taste to bad just gotta shoot it fast. i figure hour by hour ill come on and just let everyone know how its
goin. ive just seen so many testimonials with people who are small statured at 6'3" 260 im interested to see if what seems to be the average
dose will affect me the same, well and to see if i found my bored and potless alternative.
jent
Chief Shaman

/ +

[*] posted on 2-12-09 at 11:23 PM   «:|:»  Link to post Reply With Quote

Feel free to post updates to how it went irm420....oh, and also:
Welcome to<br />
the Forums

cheers,
jent d-_-b
jent
Chief Shaman

/ +

[*] posted on 3-10-09 at 11:56 AM   «:|:»  Link to post Reply With Quote

Just an update to keep everyone safe....I just read that a dose of 5 to 6 tablespoons for an average 125 to 150lb man could be reaching the point of toxicity. I.e. it could hospitalize or kill you. So keep those doses down in the 2 to 4 tablespoon range to be safe.

cheers,
jent d-_-b
Concorde
Junior N00b

[*] posted on 3-11-09 at 02:26 AM   «:|:»  Link to post Reply With Quote

Quote:
Originally posted by jent
Just an update to keep everyone safe....I just read that a dose of 5 to 6 tablespoons for an average 125 to 150lb man could be reaching the point of toxicity. I.e. it could hospitalize or kill you. So keep those doses down in the 2 to 4 tablespoon range to be safe.

haha yea, I've never tried this much. I'm wondering if the pure properties of the psychoactives cause the sickening effects, or if it's the extra compounds in the spice itself, that must be ingested with either the ground product or the whole seeds themselves.

2-4 is definitely more safe, and provides plenty. From my experience, the more you take, the longer it lasts, which can be upwards of 24-48 hours, but with none of the high feelings of taking the min to get there.

I'm also wondering if an extract would be possible...e.g. with Salvia, I've never reached the threshold with pure leaves, but only with extract. 5x Salvia has brought me to places that words cannot describe, although the pure leaves have not brought me close, even with 2 bowls of pure dried leaves.

So, I'm thinking that some sort of extract would provide extremely psychedelic effects, without the negative effects. Evidently, the active components of nutmeg are damaging on the liver and brain, but I am convinced that these are purely a result of the ingestation of massive amounts of spice, and not the psychoactive element itself.

Very recently, on a Russian drug forum, I read of a seller providing 5x Nutmeg extract, but I have yet to try it.

Thoughts?
I am listening to: Spacemen 3 - Recurring (album)
Concorde
Junior N00b

[*] posted on 3-11-09 at 02:34 AM   «:|:»  Link to post Reply With Quote

Quote:
Originally posted by hellokitty
nutmeg does NOT have to be icky.
It can actually be very yummy to take large doses of.
mix it in a large glass of milk and add some sugar.
yum :smile:

Totally true.
If taken right, it's not bad at all. Like I said, it's really no worse than a shot of pure hard alcohol. I like mine in OJ, but, many, like you, say they prefer theirs in milk. The rough texture of the nutmeg sticking to the back of the throat causes many peoples' ill reactions, and the syrupy texture of milk would def help this.

Cinnamon might help out for the taste too, although I have yet to try this.
Concorde
Junior N00b

[*] posted on 3-11-09 at 03:05 AM   «:|:»  Link to post Reply With Quote

Quote:
Originally posted by Aero
Very interesting. When you describe the effects, the first thing that comes to mind is its similarity to eating weed. I've only eaten bud once, but the effects seem fairly similar to the nutmeg effects.

It does seem like a good drug to use while smoking bud. I also thought it was interesting to take the drug right before bed and be able to wake up to the effects. Seems like doing that and then having a wake-N-bake session would be sweet.

Thanks for the post

Unfortunately, I've heard that the effects of smoking are disappointing. It's DEFINITELY complimentary to bud though, and, at very least is negligible, but mostly elevates the effex. If extracted, I think the active components could potentially become a potent new psychedelic. Nutmeg is so unique, and not too many people experiment with it.

Some of the greatest truths lie right before our eyes.
Concorde
Junior N00b

[*] posted on 3-11-09 at 03:11 AM   «:|:»  Link to post Reply With Quote

Quote:
Unfortunately, I've heard that the effects of smoking are disappointing.

Maybe it lies in its chemistry, with its active components burning at too low of temps to be smoked? There are alot of drugs that share this this same property, and therefore can't be smoked. Chemical extraction could help for ingestation in other forms though...
danwats
Fresh N00bie

[*] posted on 1-14-10 at 10:31 PM   «:|:»  Link to post Reply With Quote

I am not an experienced drug user, but i have done weed enough to know the effects. I haven't tried eating nutmeg yet, but i have tried smoking it.
I've found very mild effects that wear off quiet fast. also I find that you shit a lot, which makes me wonder what it does to my digesstive system.
ILHerbs
Fresh N00bie

[*] posted on 2-5-10 at 01:13 PM   «:|:»  Link to post Reply With Quote

just a note! i found a place that sells "incense" lol but if smoked it gives you a good high, and it doesnt show up in drug tests! its good stuff
though & it gives a good high! check it out zonged.com!
Post new threadPoll:

Go To Top