Author: Subject: BBD is moving to a new server under a new name
jent
Chief Shaman

karma Rating: 15 karma: 15
/ +

Mood: Hanging in there

[*] posted on 2-25-10 at 08:00 PM   «:|:»  Link to post Reply With Quote
BBD is moving to a new server under a new name

I have purchased a new server. I have already moved the IRC network on to this server, and am currently in the process of building a new site from the ground up. The forums will remain, on the new site. Stay tuned for details and updates.

If you have any recommendations about what you would like to see, or what would make the new site more useful. Please post them!!!

This process will probably take a month or two.

cheers,
jent d-_-b
jent
Chief Shaman

/ +

[*] posted on 3-4-10 at 07:32 AM   «:|:»  Link to post Reply With Quote

Progress has been slowly moving with the new server. I am right now trying to figure out how I want to design the new website. I am also in the progress of gearing up what features will move, and what will stay.

Here it the for sure move list:
* java chat room (though might change to cgi:irc for ease of use)
* soulBay

Things that wont get moved:
* the podcast (I will create a thread which links to all the episodes, so they can still be downloaded though, but the rss feed and such will go down)

things I am undecided about:
* denOS

Let me know if you have any comments on things you would/would not like to see moved....and if you have any ideas for new features on spicyLemons

cheers,
jent d-_-b
jent
Chief Shaman

/ +

[*] posted on 3-23-10 at 07:55 PM   «:|:»  Link to post Reply With Quote

It's been a long time...but progress has been going great.

You can see the new beta spicylemons now at:
http://www.spicylemons.com

One thing in particular that I suggest you try there is the "Web Chat". Unlike the old java based web chat, this chat is completely CGI based. This allows it to be used with simpler browser, and not requiring the java plugin to be installed. It even works on my palm pre, and probably works on other phones as well. You can more easily access the web based chat by going to: http://chat.spicylemons.com

So the status basically is that acidchat has fully moved under its new name. The foundation for the den to move has been setup. But it is a long hard process. What I plan to do is first move the forums. This is the biggest, hardest part, but it needs to be done first. When I do this, the bbdforum will be down for maintenance all day. After which it will forward you to the new site on spicylemons. Services will slowly return as time goes on. Priority to forum based services (ie soulbay, or denOS), then website based services (paste bin, and a new format for the pod cast). Depending how easy moving the forums goes, it will determine how many, if any, of those services will return immediately.

When will all this happen? Well I may not go into work tomorrow (snowing a ton). But otherwise it will have to be on a weekend or sometime I can focus all day on it.

If you have any comments or suggestions, please let me know.

cheers,
jent d-_-b
jent
Chief Shaman

/ +

[*] posted on 3-24-10 at 02:25 PM   «:|:»  Link to post Reply With Quote

If your reading this post, that means that you are now on the new server!!

You will notice that the links have updated to the new forums, as well as the textual names have been updated. The art work will still contain the big bud den name for some time, but that will be next.

Currently the only forum feature that has not finished the migration yet is the denOS. I may get to this tonight, but otherwise it will be coming in the near future. Everything else, soulBay (even though no game is running currently), the gallery, and all the forum content, has moved. Leaving nothing for the den on one of the two servers it was using. There is still additional content that needs to be moved from the old server (for example the podcasts, the paste bin, and more). The stuff remaining on the second server the den used will take longer to do. So here are the priorities:

1) denOS working on new server
2) art updates
3) after the art/style has been updated the homepage www.spicylemons.com will then link to the forums
4) remove the final content from www.bigbudden.com and place it somewhere on the new site/community and then forward www.bigbudden.com to go to www.spicylemons.com

Let me know if you have any questions about the move, or if you notice any other broken features. Please send u2u's or post them on the help board. I wont be surprised if lots of things broke, but so far Ionly know that email notifications for u2u's wont work.

Thanks, and welcome!

cheers,
jent d-_-b
jent
Chief Shaman

/ +

[*] posted on 3-30-10 at 07:49 AM   «:|:»  Link to post Reply With Quote

We had a slight problem in that previous bookmarks and links from the old domain would not forward to the new domain properly. This should now be fixed. Let me know if you notice any more problems.

cheers,
jent d-_-b
jent
Chief Shaman

/ +

[*] posted on 4-9-10 at 02:27 PM   «:|:»  Link to post Reply With Quote

I am almost done with the new forum theme and branding. You can see a preview of it if you change your theme manually to SpicyLemons-Light. Once I am done I will create a negative version of it as well.

I may have mentioned it before, but I am keeping the old den themes up for legacy sake and memories of the good times. I have changed everyone who is currently registered and set to the default theme to continue to use the old BBD theme. So you wont auto change to the new spicylemons theme unless you go back in and set it back to the default, or to the spicylemons theme directly.

cheers,
jent d-_-b
jent
Chief Shaman

/ +

[*] posted on 4-9-10 at 08:29 PM   «:|:»  Link to post Reply With Quote

The forums have been linked to the spicylemons website. You can now access it from: http://www.spicylemons.com

The default theme is almost fully completed, the remaining changes are fairly minor.

The remaining features of the bigbudden.com website will be moved over in the near future. Starting with the download repository, the podcast episodes (no new ones though), and the polls.

You can read more on this post:
http://spicylemons.com/?articles/2010/04/09/welcome-the-forums.html

p.s. I am aware that SSL for the homepage is not working yet....I have not figured that one out yet

cheers,
jent d-_-b
jent
Chief Shaman

/ +

[*] posted on 8-23-10 at 09:35 AM   «:|:»  Link to post Reply With Quote

The final bits of the old server are just about to finished being moved. The old server will be shut down on September 1st.

I am currently moving some final things that are not in relation to spicylemons/BBD

The download archive has been moved (and cleaned a bit, although more organization would be good)

The podcast has not been moved yet, but I will post those old podcast episodes before too long

The paste bin has not been moved yet, I want to create a new one, that hopefully gets spammed less

I think that is the last that is needed. It has been very good for me to have these two sites/servers merged into one.

cheers,
jent d-_-b
Post new threadPoll:

Go To Top