SpicyLemons Fourm Uptime: 11 Years, 3 Months, 3 Weeks
Not logged in [Login ]
  Go To Bottom
Poll: should we shut the den down?
Keep it running forever ---------------------- 3 (60%)
Give it more time at least -- 0 (0%)
Shut it down and let it die with grace --------------- 2 (40%)

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites  Post new threadPoll:
Author: Subject: should we shut the den down?
jent
Chief Shaman

karma Rating: 15 karma: 15
/ +

Mood: Hanging in there

[*] posted on 1-4-10 at 11:22 PM   «:|:»  Link to post Reply With Quote
should we shut the den down?

I don't have as much time to post as I used to. And apparently the rest of the users agree. It is absolutely nothing for me to keep it running as is, but I worry with the lack of activity that eventually it will be zero activity at all.

So what do you think? Can we revive the den? Should we end it now and let it die with it's legacy? Or should we let it continue so people can continue to use the features despite the slow down of activity?

cheers,
jent d-_-b
jent
Chief Shaman

/ +

[*] posted on 1-7-10 at 07:20 PM   «:|:»  Link to post Reply With Quote

Anyone else?

There is another option I forgot to mention. We could merge the den with my IRC network (acidchat). The identity of big bud den would be replaced with acidchat, and the acidchat forums, in hopes that the den and the IRC network could benefit from each other.

I would like some actual responses, instead of just votes as well.

cheers,
jent d-_-b
9ofclubs
Posting Whore

karma Rating: 1 / +

Mood: Tall

[*] posted on 1-8-10 at 06:46 PM   «:|:»  Link to post Reply With Quote

Were you the one to vote Jent?

If that is how you feel then by all means shut it down. personally i still visit and read the site but do not post much.
I would post and not get much if any feedback on my post so I felt I should stop posting so much. But that is just me. If people just liked reading and not responding, because they just like any information, even if it is my own take on things that some find far out there, then i would post more again. But like you, I have far less time these days. Working, unfortunately, takes up so much time.

If it cost you money to maintain then i would vote to shut it down since it is not getting much use. Or to merge with IRC.
Just depends.

If it is free to host then i would vote to keep it going for as long as you want to be mod. I am going to reserve my vote until you answer some of those questions.

veQDuj 'oH Dujllj'e'
jent
Chief Shaman

/ +

[*] posted on 1-10-10 at 11:16 AM   «:|:»  Link to post Reply With Quote

I have not voted yet...honestly I am leaning more towards keeping it up, or merging with acidchat. There is lots of great resources and tools on this site, and I hate to see them all disappear.

It does cost money, but I am usually running the server resources for other means as well. I figure in reality it cost about $150 to $200 a year to run the site. A fee I can definitely afford and am not concerned with.

It would take a lot of work, but I am leaning more and more to merging with acidchat. It would give the den a more PC name, which might encourage people to be more ready to access it at work. And as we progress into jobs, that might be a factor. We don't do much bud related stuff anyways. But I worry that the users will feel it has then lost it's identity. Any thoughts on this?

cheers,
jent d-_-b
LTTank
Forum Slut

karma Rating: 4 / +

Mood: Tired, almost always tired...

[*] posted on 1-10-10 at 12:25 PM   «:|:»  Link to post Reply With Quote

It's your site to do with as you will.
:shcool:

"What? No more cake and ice cream left? To hell with this, I'm outa here!"
http://aldentevontino.webs.com/photos/Shhhh/liferules2.jpg
9ofclubs
Posting Whore

karma Rating: 1 / +

Mood: Tall

[*] posted on 1-10-10 at 05:17 PM   «:|:»  Link to post Reply With Quote

I would agree with all of what you said jent. I think you should merge it with acid chat. However, i am not sure what that would look like. Also, I am a newb and do not know how IRC really works. I used it a long time ago but had help setting it up. I have Ubuntu, Which I really like BTW, and i believe it has a IRC client built in.

What would it look like after a merge?

veQDuj 'oH Dujllj'e'
spank

karma Rating: 16 karma: 16
/ +

Mood: absorbent

[*] posted on 1-11-10 at 12:47 PM   «:|:»  Link to post Reply With Quote

I understand the argument either way. I don't think merging the den w/ acid chat is a good idea though, if it's going to exist let it be otherwise end it. I can understand the PC issues concerning work computers but there isn't any drug related content anyway so making ohers feel alright about visiting the site seems stupid. Part of the dens charm is the expression of ideas that wouldn't be considered by the mainstream so why make those same folks feel better so to speak. Put the den down as is or let it continue as is would be my only real advice.

jent
Chief Shaman

/ +

[*] posted on 1-12-10 at 12:11 AM   «:|:»  Link to post Reply With Quote

i have no intention on limiting content. It would be a change in name only. The only problem is when work see's sites all they see is headers, and domain names. They don't really examine the content, so I am not worried there.

As for how it would look. I think the forums would look basically the same, same basic colors, just change the headers at the top of the forums. The homepage would probably transition into something closer to what www.acidchat.net is, just redone so it can house more content that is currently on our homepage. It would encourage me to go through the content and redo a bit. I would also like to extend IRC oper privileges to forum moderators, and allow them to post on the homepage.

cheers,
jent d-_-b
LTTank
Forum Slut

karma Rating: 4 / +

Mood: Tired, almost always tired...

[*] posted on 1-12-10 at 08:49 AM   «:|:»  Link to post Reply With Quote

Ok, I voted. Just to try and be part of something.
I think you should keep it running if, for no other reason, than a contact point.
I myself apparently don't have much in common with many of you, thanks to finances among other things, but that's not important. What IS important is all of you that DO share something in common have one more place to chat.
:shcool:

"What? No more cake and ice cream left? To hell with this, I'm outa here!"
http://aldentevontino.webs.com/photos/Shhhh/liferules2.jpg
Post new threadPoll:

Go To Top