SpicyLemons Fourm Uptime: 11 Years, 1 Month, 3 Weeks
Not logged in [Login ]
  Go To Bottom
Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites  Post new threadPoll:
Author: Subject: Modern Warfare 2 banned in Russia!
spank
Moderator
********


Avatar


Posts: 1206
Registered: 5-20-06
Location: CO
karma Rating: 16 karma: 16
/ +
Member is Offline

Mood: absorbent

[*] posted on 11-16-09 at 12:07 PM   «:|:»  Link to post Reply With Quote
Modern Warfare 2 banned in Russia!



It took them a week but the Russian government has issued a ban on all copies of Modern Warfare 2 that contain the level "No Russian". Im not sure how many of you have played through the game yet but in that level you play a CIA agent pretending to be a Russian ultranationalist pretending to be an american who goes into a Russian airport and shoots civilians. Now I can almost understand the outrage except that in the end I dont feel like the game portrayed the Russian people in a negative light. Not to mention the fact that the game makes you agree TWICE to the fact that the level is extreme and might be disturbing and you dont have to play through it. The idea of banning the game seems like a bigger stain on their public image IMO but thats just me. Retailers have pulled the game from shelves and activision/infinity ward is going to release another version of the game w/ that level removed which should be for sale in the next couple of weeks.

Any thoughts? This is pretty blatant censorship IMO and ultimately the game makes America look like the bad guy/douche not Russia.... Regardless I thought the game was truely excelent and made a great point about "1st" world governments and how quickly/easily they are willing to go to war.


View User's ProfileView All Posts By UserU2U Member
jent
Chief Shaman
*********


Avatar


Posts: 2122
Registered: 5-19-06
Location: above ground
karma Rating: 15 karma: 15
/ +
Member is Offline

Mood: Hanging in there

[*] posted on 11-16-09 at 07:35 PM   «:|:»  Link to post Reply With Quote


not the first time....Wolfensteine was banned in Germany for containing Nazi symbols....I definitely don't like the growing trend. Governments need to stop think that people are so weak that we can't interpret things on our own. Oh wait, maybe they think that because we are constantly bitching about such small things like anti religious symbols?

Seriously, I think this is the response of governments after the civilians have conditioned them to try and keep things so PC.


cheers,
jent d-_-b
View User's ProfileView All Posts By UserU2U Memberjent's Aim
LTTank
Forum Slut
*****


Avatar


Posts: 341
Registered: 9-10-08
karma Rating: 4 / +
Member is Offline

Mood: Tired, almost always tired...

[*] posted on 11-17-09 at 12:48 AM   «:|:»  Link to post Reply With Quote


Every single topic, in every facet of it's potential use, have those who are fore it and those against it. There is no way around that.
I do agree that those who 'determine what is right or wrong' need to step back and look at the WHOLE picture, not just their views before taking action.
Just my two cents.
:dshades:


"What? No more cake and ice cream left? To hell with this, I'm outa here!"
http://aldentevontino.webs.com/photos/Shhhh/liferules2.jpg
View User's ProfileView All Posts By UserU2U Member
spank
Moderator
********


Avatar


Posts: 1206
Registered: 5-20-06
Location: CO
karma Rating: 16 karma: 16
/ +
Member is Offline

Mood: absorbent

[*] posted on 11-17-09 at 09:02 AM   «:|:»  Link to post Reply With Quote


Quote:
Originally posted by jent
not the first time....Wolfensteine was banned in Germany for containing Nazi symbols....I definitely don't like the growing trend. Governments need to stop think that people are so weak that we can't interpret things on our own. Oh wait, maybe they think that because we are constantly bitching about such small things like anti religious symbols?

Seriously, I think this is the response of governments after the civilians have conditioned them to try and keep things so PC.


Nazi symbols for the german's is a little different IMO but to ban it outright is wrong.

As for the gov. being conditioned by people to be too PC... come on jensen this is Russia we're talking about. This is a nation that has expressed remorse and sadness over the loss of hardliner communist control. The last time russia experienced ground up movement w/ their government was during the Bolshevik revolution.


View User's ProfileView All Posts By UserU2U Member
jent
Chief Shaman
*********


Avatar


Posts: 2122
Registered: 5-19-06
Location: above ground
karma Rating: 15 karma: 15
/ +
Member is Offline

Mood: Hanging in there

[*] posted on 11-17-09 at 09:43 PM   «:|:»  Link to post Reply With Quote


Quote:
Originally posted by spank
Nazi symbols for the german's is a little different IMO but to ban it outright is wrong.

I disagree, both are portraying a country in a negative light, and thus they remove the game for the same reason.
Quote:
As for the gov. being conditioned by people to be too PC... come on jensen this is Russia we're talking about. This is a nation that has expressed remorse and sadness over the loss of hardliner communist control. The last time russia experienced ground up movement w/ their government was during the Bolshevik revolution.

Good point


cheers,
jent d-_-b
View User's ProfileView All Posts By UserU2U Memberjent's Aim
Post new threadPoll:


  Go To Top