Author: Subject: Phone/network advice
jent
Chief Shaman

karma Rating: 15 karma: 15
/ +

Mood: Hanging in there

[*] posted on 5-28-09 at 06:05 PM   «:|:»  Link to post Reply With Quote
Phone/network advice

I will be getting a palm pre, it is everything I have ever wanted in a phone. But I am at a bit of a cross roads with the network.

The palm pre is a sprint exclusive. I am currently on AT&T, and I by no means feel loyal to them or am hesitant to switch (and sprint has an awesome plan package and prices to go with the phone).

What I am not sure on, is that sprint's network can not send data and voice at the same time. Which is how it is with AT&T with edge. AT&T lucks out in the since that you can use 3G while you are on the phone with someone.

It is not a feature I have ever had. I am not sure how big of a deal it will be to use voice and data at the same time. I mean it would require me removing the phone from my face, probably using speaker phone, and then wanting to surf, do email, or use google maps.

With AT&T I would be able to do those actions, only if I am using 3G (so in one of the few areas that actually supports 3G based on what I have heard).

There is talk that the palm pre might be coming to AT&T in 6 months. But who really knows, and I just am not sure if it is worth waiting a substantial amount of time, only to find out AT&T wont have the pre.

Yes AT&T has come out recently saying they want to have the pre once sprints elusively is over. With that said, one no one knows how long that will be (rumor is probably elusive only till jan 2010). I also can't help but feel like AT&T is saying that just to try and keep a bunch of people with expiring contracts from wanting to jump ship to sprint.

Any thoughts? Should I wait 6 months to get a chance at being able to use voice and data at the same time? Or should I just get it, and enjoy what it has. I really want my cake and to eat it too.

cheers,
jent d-_-b
spank

karma Rating: 16 karma: 16
/ +

Mood: absorbent

[*] posted on 5-29-09 at 12:36 PM   «:|:»  Link to post Reply With Quote

Just saw an article saying that sprint has the pre exclusive through 2009. IIRC at&t just renegotiated w/ apple for the iphone through 2009+ so it seems like 9 months at least until the pre MIGHT be offered on multiple carriers, IMO. All that aside jent, I dont know if I can do voice and data simultaneously on the 3G iphone. That could very well be a phone limitation though.

jent
Chief Shaman

/ +

[*] posted on 5-30-09 at 10:37 AM   «:|:»  Link to post Reply With Quote

Good information, I think I am pretty set on just going with sprint. In 2 years I can look at the situation again, but it is a feature I have never had.

If nothing else, I just want to support palm and say "Yes, finally a phone that is the whole package"

cheers,
jent d-_-b
spank

/ +

[*] posted on 5-31-09 at 05:56 AM   «:|:»  Link to post Reply With Quote

"the whole package" which you have never held or used before.... lol. Any product is going to have limitations and flaws jensen. I do find the idea of switching service providers for a phone to be quite rediculous but oh well.

jent
Chief Shaman

/ +

[*] posted on 5-31-09 at 10:42 AM   «:|:»  Link to post Reply With Quote

Quote:
Originally posted by spank
I do find the idea of switching service providers for a phone to be quite rediculous but oh well.

Is funny, I find the idea of sticking with a provider for no reason to be just as ridiculous. AT&T is nothing spectacular IMO, and for the same price I am paying AT&T now I can have unlimited voice, data, and text. Vs my shitty 450min voice plan now.

Sprint has some serious benefits as well, example no roaming charges, and last night I was looking at there coverage map, and in Colorado I found it to be extremely impressive.

I would much rather switch networks to use a phone that actually goes above and beyond, and provides me with the benefits that I have been longing for. Than stay with a network that is good, but by no means has impressed me (well impressed me over verizon or t-mobile....but i don't see anything AT&T has over sprint other than simultaneous data/voice and sim cards).

cheers,
jent d-_-b
spank

/ +

[*] posted on 6-1-09 at 05:12 AM   «:|:»  Link to post Reply With Quote

I have used AT&T for years, accross the US and europe and I have had NO problems. I would also like you to explain why switching to Sprint makes more sense than say switching to Verizon (other than justifying the switch for the phone...) I know plenty of people w/ Verizon and I dont think any of them would say a bad thing about it. I get it jensen, you have a chubby for the pre... which you've had for a while now actually, and you want to justify it. It still seems bizarre to me to switch networks SOLELY for a phone... my iPhone 3G is a great phone but if I had been on another network it certainly isn't good enough to switch to at&t, and I know you wont listen to this but believe me when I say the Pre isnt going to be any better than an iPhone (perhaps not worse, but certainly not any better). You have become a FANBOY of a product you haven't even seen in RL, let alone touched and used... lol. SO not only are you using a piece of hardware to justify switching networks but you haven't even gotten any first hand experience w/ that hardware... LOL.

Let me know what your new number is when u do the switch...

jent
Chief Shaman

/ +

[*] posted on 6-1-09 at 05:46 AM   «:|:»  Link to post Reply With Quote

haha, i am so a fanboy. But I still honestly think the pre will be better than the iphone. I can list the features that move it above and beyond, the synergy, the threaded sms/im, etc all in one place....I am a fanboy because of the concepts. The whole "finally, this was so simple, about time" features that no one has.

Also I can list plenty of problems with verizon. The first and most major of which is the fact that they cripple there phones. Replacing the stock email and web client with there own shitty software that is complete crap. I knows lots of other reasons why verizon sucks, and would never consider them.

And sorry for the short and not detailed post, but I have to run to work now ^.^

cheers,
jent d-_-b
spank

/ +

[*] posted on 6-1-09 at 10:18 AM   «:|:»  Link to post Reply With Quote

Well, that is some lame shit there. Crippling a phone to force the subscriber to use their service... un-fucking-believable! That makes me think that their customers are either not clever enough to realize/complain about that kind of BS or their coverage/service is so high quality in all other aspects because it would be insulting being forced to use a service providers web/email client!

Jensen, you admit to being a fanboy then you use subjective words like "better" when comparing it to the iPhone... good stuff. The pre is surely a better fit for you, it will be non-mainstream enough to give that part of your ego a good stroke while your trying to only press one button at a time on its micro-sized but tactile qwerty keyboard. :awink: Honestly though, I am looking forward to messing around w/ it once you get one. I know I couldn't personally own one but its always good to see what else is out there.

GMoney
Posting Whore

karma Rating: 5 / +

Mood: Dialed

[*] posted on 6-1-09 at 03:40 PM   «:|:»  Link to post Reply With Quote

My phone makes phone calls, that's good enough for me.

You can't mess with this steez.
GMoney
Posting Whore

karma Rating: 5 / +

Mood: Dialed

[*] posted on 6-1-09 at 03:40 PM   «:|:»  Link to post Reply With Quote

and receives them, that's a plus too.

You can't mess with this steez.
jent
Chief Shaman

/ +

[*] posted on 6-1-09 at 07:27 PM   «:|:»  Link to post Reply With Quote

Quote:
Originally posted by spank
....you use subjective words like "better" when comparing it to the iPhone....

Who dosent want some true multitasking and background applications? Even the iPhone update only gives this in the most limited of forms. I also think some of the synergy features that the pre gives is truely better than any other phone. Being features that anyone who uses SMS, IM, calendaring or other features could benefit from.

I am not trying to say the phone is better in every aspect. It certainly is not that. I am even willing to admit that it is not better overall for some people. But....I think that some features are certainly better than anything else on the market, and in some ways has features and ideas that should be supported and encouraged.

Features like the thumboard are not the reason I think it is better

cheers,
jent d-_-b
Post new threadPoll:

Go To Top