Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites  Post new threadPoll:
Author: Subject: People Angry over Google street view camera car
Aero
Editor

karma Rating: 8 / +

[*] posted on 4-4-09 at 09:53 AM   «:|:»  Link to post Reply With Quote
People Angry over Google street view camera car

Story from CNN:

(CNN) -- Google's ambitious plan to offer a 3-D street level view of communities across three continents hit a snag when angry residents of a UK village blocked the search engine's camera car from photographing their homes

Fearing the appearance of their well appointed properties on the Web site would attract criminals scouting for burglary targets, villagers in Broughton, north of London, summoned the police after spotting the car.

"I was upstairs when I spotted the camera car driving down the lane," resident Paul Jacobs told The Times of London.

"My immediate reaction was anger: How dare anyone take a photograph of my home without my consent? I ran outside to flag the car down and told the driver he was not only invading our privacy but also facilitating crime.

"This is an affluent area. We've already had three burglaries locally in the past six weeks. If our houses are plastered all over Google it's an invitation for more criminals to strike. I was determined to make a stand, so I called the police."

Google's Street View project to map 360-degree images of roads and homes across the world has generated numerous complaints over privacy, despite automated software that blurs faces and car licence plates.

A Google spokesman, quoted by the UK Press Association, said: "Embarking on new projects, we sometimes encounter unexpected challenges, and Street View has been no exception.

"We know that some people are uncomfortable with images of their houses or cars being included in the product, which is why we provide an easy way to request removal of imagery. Most imagery requests are processed within hours."

The spokesman added: "We take privacy very seriously, and we were careful to ensure that all images in our Street View service abide by UK law."

So, what do you guys think about google posting pictures of your private property on the internet?

I wish my lawn was Emo, and cut itself
Concorde
Junior N00b

karma Rating: 1 / +

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 4-13-09 at 02:38 AM   «:|:»  Link to post Reply With Quote

Google street view has intrigued me for some time, and I think people have been pretty vocal about themselves being photographed also. So far, it has only affected major urban populations though, and so few people (relative to the entire population, that is) know about it, that there hasn't really been enough uprise to erase existing street views or halt efforts to create more. I'll admit I've used it many times to scope out what things look like where I'm going, living in a shitty town with a bunch of shitty neighborhoods, but it's a valuable tool, for sure. Yea, I can tell if I'm going to get shot or not from google street view, and I could could also be nosey if I wanted too... But if really skilled criminals wanted to break into a paranoid rich family's house, then they'd do more than just scope it out on Google street view...back around '94 or or so, my family had its house broken into by a professional burglar, who stole thousands upon thousands of dollars worth of genuine gold and diamond shit. This guy was eventually caught and brought to trial, and as it turned out, he had been in the "business" for many decades. He had also been in prison a few times, but knew exactly what he was doing. He found our house because he had done thorough research on the year the house was built, alarm systems, times when we were home, our neighbors, and everything else you could possibly imagine. Google street view wouldn't have helped his cause one FUCKING bit. This is one time that I really remember law enforcement doing its job too...they fucking had all their forces on this shit, instead of things that they sometimes do when they shouldn't....

Unskilled people break in and steal a TV (Good for them!!!!!!! fuck tv), or vcr, cd players, or other random, easy-to-transport shit that they can EASILY find, and they usually break alot of shit while they're at it...like windows, any glass, or anything they can take their anger out on... But the really good guys only go for the shit that will make them BANK. Pro burglars make a profession out of that shit, and know all that they need to know like a President, CEO, or Drug Lord.

Punkzzz are all the only thing that I could ever imagine evolving from google street view, and I welcome punks with open arms. If you have ever researched punks, they are basically yet another offspring of society, like hippies. I really hate putting categories on things, because it's only a result of language/communication, but these people achieve good things for society too, and have strikingly similar views as hippies. The same as the Beatniks (the original hipsters, and what the hippies evolved from), and whatever other social movements have come since then, throughout history.

Anyways, to answer Aero's original Q, I don't have a problem with street view. I think that EVERYBODY should be FAR more open with their views than they currently are. If everybody expressed what they really thought, then the world would be a better place. I think that the internet is really helping with this cause, and that it will accelerate with time, to open up a new realm of existence. The internet is a subtle way to truth.
spank

karma Rating: 16 karma: 16
/ +

Mood: absorbent

[*] posted on 4-13-09 at 05:38 AM   «:|:»  Link to post Reply With Quote

I thought this whole story was rather rediculous when I read it a bit ago. Its not like it was some creepy looking guy in a black hoody walking around a neighborhood taking pictures w/ his olympus point and shoot camera... it was a frickin car w/ a huge rotating camera assembly on the roof. What kind of theif is going to be that obvious? I think that big part of this kind of issue is that most people have this rather ambigious *sp line they draw around themselves and others when it comes to privacy. Its fine to be a voyuerist of sorts when it comes to other's privacy but when it gets turned on us we make that line bolder and more encompassing in an attempt to "protect" ourselves. All that being said I do think it would be in the interest of those who actually take these pics for google to have some sort of sign on their car that says "google". Im sure people would react in an almost entirely positive way if they saw that on the side of a car.

binclintonusa
Fresh N00bie

karma Rating: 0 / +

[*] posted on 6-10-09 at 08:12 PM   «:|:»  Link to post Reply With Quote

Embarking on new projects, we sometimes encounter unexpected challenges, and Street View has been no exception.

pret auto
jent
Chief Shaman

karma Rating: 15 karma: 15
/ +

Mood: Hanging in there

[*] posted on 6-13-09 at 08:54 AM   «:|:»  Link to post Reply With Quote

And a belated welcome to the forums:
Welcome to<br />
the Forums

(sorry, been busy with the new job....surprised no one else has welcomed you yet)

cheers,
jent d-_-b
gemma06
Fresh N00bie

karma Rating: 0 / +

[*] posted on 9-30-09 at 06:57 AM   «:|:»  Link to post Reply With Quote

Nice article. I agree everything's is subject for debate by the public.

gemma
Dossier de surendettement
jent
Chief Shaman

karma Rating: 15 karma: 15
/ +

Mood: Hanging in there

[*] posted on 9-30-09 at 06:22 PM   «:|:»  Link to post Reply With Quote

Welcome gemma06 also
Welcome to<br />
the Forums

cheers,
jent d-_-b
LTTank
Forum Slut

karma Rating: 4 / +

Mood: Tired, almost always tired...

[*] posted on 9-30-09 at 09:21 PM   «:|:»  Link to post Reply With Quote

Yeah! Welcome x2!
:aecheers:

I don't think the issue is about the picture takers, or about the method used. I think it's mainly about who could use the pictures later for personal benefit.
Sure there are MANY that don't need them, but there ARE some that would use them for casing out places. In fact it MAY even cause the thought to enter into someone's mind while just casually checking out some "cool views of a neighborhood":

(two drunk men)
Man one: "Hey, let's take a look at our house online!"
Man two: "Sure, why not?"
(a few clicks later)
Man two: "Wow that really is something, huh?"
Man one: "Yeah, sure is!" (he points) "Say, what's that over here?"
(Man two goes in for a close-up)
Man one: "Oh! I didn't know Tom had a boat! Let's go check it out!"
Man two: "Sure, I got nothing better to do!"
(That night Tom calls the police because he heard a couple of drunk men in his back yard breaking into his boat, not knowing they were his neighbors from 3 doors down, but also not caring because his life, family and property are in danger)

My personal opinion is split heavily. Yes it is beneficial because it helps with navigation, among other things, but it DOES have the potential to be used for wrongdoing.
If I had to chose for myself I would not have a problem since I live in an apartment, but if I did have my own home, I might also wish to have mine blocked from view.

"What? No more cake and ice cream left? To hell with this, I'm outa here!"
http://aldentevontino.webs.com/photos/Shhhh/liferules2.jpg
Post new threadPoll:

Go To Top