SpicyLemons Fourm Uptime: 11 Years, 7 Months, 1 Week
Not logged in [Login ]
  Go To Bottom
Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites  Post new threadPoll:
Author: Subject: If I had a gun, and Bill Gates were in the same room...
Concorde
Junior N00b

karma Rating: 1 / +

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 3-9-09 at 09:28 PM   «:|:»  Link to post Reply With Quote
If I had a gun, and Bill Gates were in the same room...

....I'd fucking shoot him dead...

And I don't just mean shot him to kill him in the head, I mean I'd fucking pump him full of so many bullets that his body would be mutilitated beyond recognition.

I'm sorry. This is waaayyyy beyond any of the most fucked up thoughts that I've ever had, but to be quite honest, I made my computer a larger part of my life than anyone should ever. I guess I had my hopes set upon the eventual fable of singularity, which I wonder if it will ever come to fruition. But, despite my PC troubles, I resolved that I would devote my mind to more creative endeavors that would expand my consciousness and benefit the world. Unfortunately, I've become brainwashed by the modern world, and I'm finding it difficult to rediscover the short couple of years of enlightenment that I had. I'm too lazy to write, and all of my painting canvasses are being stored over 1,000 miles away. And, not to mention, thanks to Vista, my sources of internet inspiration are gone as well.

My old computer ran fairly well, despite running XP and being a 5 year old laptop. But, I upgraded to a more potent system, a brand-new HP that runs Vista, and will smoothly play the most demanding of games. I was, at first, very excited about my new system, as I transferred all of the data from my old computer. But, my first shock came when only about 25% of the older programs would work on my new computer. I've spent many wasted and frustrating hours trying to adapt to the new system, but just can't figure out how gain the competence with it that I had on my old system. I'm reduced to Internet Explorer and Flight Sim, because Firefox and it's add-on's recently refused to connect to the internet with the installation of new updates. Even after a complete unistallation and re-installation, it still won't connect.

I used to know how to program aircraft to change their performance characteristics, and can probably still do this with Vista, but many add-on programs for flight sim won't work with Vista.

One problem might lie in the numerous firewalls that Vista installs, including Norton, which is basically a virus in itself, so I unistalled ALL firewalls. Every downloading issue that I have still seems to point towards an active firewall, though, so tonight, I downloaded a firewall detecting program from a Mozilla developer, which confirmed that I still had one Norton function still activated, even though I painstakingly disable all Norton functions, before moving all the files to an isolated folder. I then officially unistalled Norton, went into My Computer, and searched every Norton/Symantics folder, and deleted every associated file that I could find, and ran the firewall detecting program again. It still detected that Norton is active!! WTF! What a virus!

Anyways, Bill Gates has a monopoly with Vista. Nothing works unless it's Microsoft, and even microsoft products don't work well. You even have to pay for Office after buying a $1500 laptop from those SOB's. Office is basic shit and should come free. $100 to type words into an appropriate format other than notepad!? Fuck that shit!

Does anybody know of any way to hack Vista or just install a new operating system? I'd try just about anything about now.

Once again, I apologize for feeling sorry for myself, but I'm really frustrated with Vista right now, and almost ready to sell my brand-new laptop to get a Mac, even if it costs me a gross $500 or so. it'd be worth the extra $.
Vista Sucks!
Amen.

Any Linux installation info/ Vista help/ Norton termination advice would be much appreciated, in addition to anti-Vista propoganda. I've come to to the point of nearly throwing my computer out of my window a few times...a homeless person could probably get more use out of it by burning it for a nightime fire in the cold than I can by using it for my selfless exploitations.

Oh, and these is just the basics of my Vista probs, btw. Post others!
I am listening to: Pink Floyd - One of These Days
jent
Chief Shaman

karma Rating: 15 karma: 15
/ +

Mood: Hanging in there

[*] posted on 3-10-09 at 08:18 AM   «:|:»  Link to post Reply With Quote

Well I can certainly give linux advice, but I did not see any linux questions. But linux is a serious commitment. First I would be VERY surprised if microsoft flight simulator would ever work in linux. As well as other software needing equivalents. And in general the OS is not designed for everyday users. It is powerful because it requires that extra effort from the user, and does not sugar and water everything down. It can be a serious learning curve, but for me well well worth it to have been microsoft free for about 12 years now.

As for vista, you might check out a torrent for something called "tiny vista". I have not personally used it, but it is supposed to have a lot of the vista crap cut away from it. Just make sure you get the one with SP1 already installed, because the OS is hacked so bad you wont ever be able to upgrade it without a reinstall of a fresh tiny vista image.

The only other thought is try getting the newest version of Windows 7....I have never used it, but several people have told me that even in it's beta stage, it is almost as stable as vista is now. No idea on driver or software compatibility. But if I had just formatted like you did, it might be worth a shot to give it a try.

cheers,
jent d-_-b
spank

karma Rating: 16 karma: 16
/ +

Mood: absorbent

[*] posted on 3-10-09 at 02:49 PM   «:|:»  Link to post Reply With Quote

That all sounds pretty shitty but I just have to ask: Why did you get vista in the first place? Im sure this seems like a pretty heartless question but I would have gone out of my way NOT to deal w/ vista for these very reasons. I would recommend getting your hands on a copy of xp. Jensen just helped me build a pretty high powere HTPC a couple of weeks ago and I installed xp on it and I dont think I have ever seen windows load so fast! All the extra power w/ the newest Core Two Duos make xp so fricken stable and quick its almost okay to be running windows.

Jensen has a very good point w/ linux. It is very much a commitment from the user. The GUI is only usable for so many things and for the most part installs/updates have to be done through the terminal... which means learning all sorts of fun new commmand lines as well as a whole new set of programs and what they're associated w/. I wouldn't recommend switching to linux until you have a secondary PC to fall back on if you hit a snag w/ linux.

Concorde
Junior N00b

[*] posted on 3-11-09 at 01:49 AM   «:|:»  Link to post Reply With Quote

Hey, I really appreciate your chill replies, despite my hostile demeanor. That's an example to live up to.

Anyways, I'm feeling really good right now, and got my issues resolved. I've been consulting with a developer for Flight Sim add-on's too, and here is my latest message to him:

I just wanted to let you know that I was able to get the ATR working. After continuing troubles with other programs having similar problems, I tried to research as much as I could. Apparently, the problem was in anti-virus software after all. I had already officially removed all of my anti-virus programs using their provided uninstall functions, but had a little more trouble with Norton, so I physically deleted the remaining Norton files that its uninstall program failed to remove. But, I was still having trouble running multiple programs, including the installation manager for the ATR. I had almost given up when my internet browser stopped working also. After looking into this problem, all advice continued pointing to evidence of an active anti-virus software, even though I couldn't find a trace of anything anywhere on my hard drive! So, I downloaded an anti-virus detection program, and sure enough, it claimed that Norton was still running a firewall. Most people recommended that people with lingering Norton functions after un-installation reformat their hard drives, but because that is so time-consuming, I wanted to use it only as a last resort. Fortunately, I was able to find yet another program that would remove all traces of Norton, which seems to have solved all problems that I've been having with running various programs. (Some people said that even this failed to remove all of Norton's functions though, and they still had to reformat their hard drives!)

I apologize for my indignant insisting that I had no firewalls active. Although, many other people seem to have this problem with Norton leaving hidden files scattered throughout their hard drives.

I really appreciate your continued support too. Perhaps you could add a section in your support that deals specifically with Norton? I'm not sure how many of your customers have had this problem, but it was very frustrating for me. I heard that Norton stores files in the recovery drive on laptops running with Vista, and that is one place that I never accessed. Here is the link to Norton's own unistaller program page, although none of the download links here would work, so I had to download the program from a person's private website. http://service1.symantec.com/Support/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2005033108162039 They advertise this as being a re-installation program for failed installations or damaged products, although most people seem to use it to permanently remove Norton.

So, basically, Norton was to blame, and it was a shame that it was so difficult to unistall. I'm much more happy with Vista since I've gotten this resolved, since I've grown so accustomed to the way that Windows works, although I'm still open to hear about Linux and Mac. I've used Linux for basic functions only, and it seems like a competent operating system that demands little. I'm most interested in Mac than any other operating system. It seems like a very nice system, although it costs much more to get a Mac with the same specs as a PC. I now understand why.
Concorde
Junior N00b

[*] posted on 3-11-09 at 01:58 AM   «:|:»  Link to post Reply With Quote

Quote:
Originally posted by jent[/i
The only other thought is try getting the newest version of Windows 7

yea, after all of Vista's problems, I heard that they're trying to get it right again for this system. I might try it out.

Quote:
Originally posted by spank[/i
That all sounds pretty shitty but I just have to ask: Why did you get vista in the first place? Im sure this seems like a pretty heartless question but I would have gone out of my way NOT to deal w/ vista for these very reasons. I would recommend getting your hands on a copy of xp.

Not harsh at all, it was actually a gift, cuz I could never afford the thing right now. Xp was great for me. If I continue to have problems, then I will definitely consider this.

Thanks,
You guys are very uplifting!:aarock:
jent
Chief Shaman

karma Rating: 15 karma: 15
/ +

Mood: Hanging in there

[*] posted on 3-11-09 at 10:40 AM   «:|:»  Link to post Reply With Quote

Quote:
Originally posted by Concorde
Quote:
Originally posted by jent[/i
The only other thought is try getting the newest version of Windows 7

yea, after all of Vista's problems, I heard that they're trying to get it right again for this system. I might try it out.

Another thing to consider is server 2008. It is a different sort of windows, but a lot more stable. If I was using windows, it would be the one I would be on. I recommended it to spank not long ago but he declined I think because of issues with overclocking the video card or something. But it is something else to consider if your looking for a change.

cheers,
jent d-_-b
Post new threadPoll:

Go To Top