SpicyLemons Fourm Uptime: 12 Years, 5 Months, 2 Weeks
Not logged in [Login ]
  Go To Bottom
Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites  Post new threadPoll:
Author: Subject: Iraq Exports Oil, where is our Money?
spank

karma Rating: 16 karma: 16
/ +

Mood: absorbent

[*] posted on 9-21-08 at 12:16 PM   «:|:»  Link to post Reply With Quote
Iraq Exports Oil, where is our Money?

Over five years and more than a trillion dollars later, Iraq is now a "free" country. My question is whether or not we as the liberating country are entitled to some form of financial compensation or is the intrinsic value of having another "democracy" compensation enough? With all the recent troubles in the financial sector finally coming to bare, lots of interesting thoughts concerning debt have come up. Debt owed by the government to its people, debt by one nation to another, and debt by one person to another. When and how do these very complex forms of debt get paid off? We obviously initiated the conflict in Iraq, so do they owe us something now that they have been liberated? Before now the only primary benefactor of the nation's oil supply was Sadaam himself, now that each citizen benefits do they not owe us? There are so many ways to look at this one that I cant seem to lean one way or another and I figured that a few people here on the den might have some insight that would help me out. Anyone?

danga
Forum Slut

karma Rating: 5 / +

Mood: Wanna find out?

[*] posted on 9-21-08 at 07:17 PM   «:|:»  Link to post Reply With Quote

this is one thing that makes me mad, i do not support the war, and i never did. But to say that we hurt them is moronic, the reason i appose it is because i dont care what happens there.

Romans 12:10
mig
Forum Slut

karma Rating: 12 karma: 12
/ +

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 9-21-08 at 07:47 PM   «:|:»  Link to post Reply With Quote

Interesting musings, spank. One thing I know is that the fiscal situation is more complex than "debt getting paid off." I'm not sure that when people (and nations, contractors, businesses, etc.) lend and borrow "money" (in quotes because it's not money, per se) on such a large scale that, in the aftermath of a situation such as the Iraq War, a "solution" is as simple as the money going back to place it came from. Many of these loans were actually investments. Truth be told, I have no idea how this gets resolved, I think you'd have to talk to a political economist.

As for the question about the U.S. possibly being entitled to financial compensation or perhaps being satisfied with a pat on the back for spreading democracy and ending despotism, I think this is the same question many have been wondering since before the war started.

Quote:
Originally posted by danga
this is one thing that makes me mad, i do not support the war, and i never did. But to say that we hurt them is moronic, the reason i appose it is because i dont care what happens there.

Clarification: What are you talking about? What makes you mad? Besides the fact, if you don't care why are you mad?

Life should be more like the commercials for top-shelf spirits.
spank

karma Rating: 16 karma: 16
/ +

Mood: absorbent

[*] posted on 9-21-08 at 09:41 PM   «:|:»  Link to post Reply With Quote

Quote:
Originally posted by mig
Interesting musings, spank. One thing I know is that the fiscal situation is more complex than "debt getting paid off." I'm not sure that when people (and nations, contractors, businesses, etc.) lend and borrow "money" (in quotes because it's not money, per se) on such a large scale that, in the aftermath of a situation such as the Iraq War, a "solution" is as simple as the money going back to place it came from. Many of these loans were actually investments. Truth be told, I have no idea how this gets resolved, I think you'd have to talk to a political economist.

I guess I have always just made the assumption that these kinds of "investments" are essentially ultra high risk loans that dont have set returns so that if/when the risk was rewarded the windfall would be quite substantial. Look at WWII, we bailed out the majority of western civilization and as a result they were our bitches for at least a decade after. Korea, some of them still fucking hate us obviously but the ones that do like us are pretty much our bitches too.

I dont know. For the last 5+ years I have been repeating the same old shit "it was all about the oil" and here we are without any oil... I guess I was giving bush enough credit in that I figured he was making a shit ton on the back end of the oil deals to be made but as of yet nothing has happened that would indicate that being the case. Really, I just wish gas was only 2.00/gal again; is that really to much to ask for? lol

Post new threadPoll:

Go To Top