Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites  Post new threadPoll:
Author: Subject: Into the Wild
philbo
Forum Slut

karma Rating: 6 / +

Mood: wait... what

[*] posted on 2-17-08 at 10:19 AM   «:|:»  Link to post Reply With Quote
Into the Wild

Saw this movie last week and have to say its pretty good. Makes me want to just stop everything and trek. im still down to do some train hoppin and as soon as im stateside again i'd be happy if anyone would like to join. Anyone else see the movie?
danga
Forum Slut

karma Rating: 5 / +

Mood: Wanna find out?

[*] posted on 2-17-08 at 01:54 PM   «:|:»  Link to post Reply With Quote

i know the feeling your talking about, i heard there is a train in durango that will drop you off in the middle of the mountains, you have to stay there for atleast like a week.

Romans 12:10
GMoney
Posting Whore

Mood: Dialed

[*] posted on 2-17-08 at 07:27 PM   «:|:»  Link to post Reply With Quote

Quote:
Originally posted by danga
i heard there is a train in durango that will drop you off in the middle of the mountains, you have to stay there for atleast like a week.

I'm planning on doing a backpacking trip this summer that involves what your talking about. It's the Durango/Silverton Narrow Gauge railroad. The way it works is you take the train about halfway to Silverton from Durango and it does essentially drop you off in the middle of nowhere. They dop you off at this creek called Chicago Creek. You hike up the creek until you get to Chicago Basin. You camp at the base of Chicago Basin for however long you want. There are three 14ers forming the basin. So you can hike 2 of the peaks in one day and get the third on a second day. Then you hike back down to the railroad and the train picks you up.
It's really a pretty bad ass set up. Your right in the middle of the Wemminuche Wilderness, which is the largest wilderness area in Colorado. It's a nice way to knock out 3 of the 52 14ers in one trip. I've got plans with my friend to go do it this summer. Theres even a small lake in the Basin that apparently has some really nice fishing. So you can eat pretty well on a backpacking trip. Should be fun.

You can't mess with this steez.
c-dub_says
Posting Whore

karma Rating: 0 / +

Mood: thirsty

[*] posted on 2-17-08 at 11:55 PM   «:|:»  Link to post Reply With Quote

thats sick. my parents took the train last summer i think. they said it was really cool. is there only one stop to get off at? gavin, isnt there 54 14ers? or are a few of the saddles between peaks disputed?

"hover boards don't go over water"
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
GMoney
Posting Whore

[*] posted on 2-18-08 at 07:27 AM   «:|:»  Link to post Reply With Quote

You could be right, I thought it was 52 but I could be wrong. I know the only restriction about using saddles to get from one peak to the other it that you have to drop at least 2,000 ft and come back up again for it to count.

c-dub_says
Posting Whore

karma Rating: 0 / +

Mood: thirsty

[*] posted on 2-18-08 at 10:29 AM   «:|:»  Link to post Reply With Quote

2000 feet sounds more like himalayan proportions, i guess i thought the saddle rule was closer to 300 or 400 feet. i'm gonna see if i can find it in my 14ers book. i know the saddle between greys and torreys isnt 2000 feet of drama, closer to 500 i think. i'll check tho. have you ever gone to yankee boy basin?

"hover boards don't go over water"
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
GMoney
Posting Whore

[*] posted on 2-18-08 at 11:01 AM   «:|:»  Link to post Reply With Quote

I've been offroading up near there in Tommy Boy Basin, just a hopskipandjump away from Yankee Boy. Once I get this lift I'm going to head up that way, there's a couple good hikes up there. I think I'm going to hike Mt. Sneffels this summer too. Uncompagre is calling my name as well.

Post new threadPoll:

Go To Top